The Safe Quality Food Institute Ethical Sourcing (ES) Standard Edition 2.1 and the Fundamental Factors for Social Responsibility (F2SR) standards outline the requirements for a sourcing organization or supplier at any stage of the supply chain (primary production, manufacture, processing, transport, storage, distribution, retailing or services) to become certified. The broad auditable requirements that must be met by the organization to achieve certification are presented in the Requirements section of the Standards.
Step 1: Learn About the ES 2.1 and F2SR Codes and Appendices
- Instructor Led Courses – Attend a SQF ES in-person training course. See course agenda HERE
- Train Yourself – Our codes are available for free to download and study HERE
Step 2: Register in the SQFI Assessment Database
- To Register for an SQF ES audit in the SQF Assessment Database, click HERE
Step 3: Designate a ES Management Representative
- The SQFI ES Codes require that every site have a suitably qualified Management Representative to validate and verify the requirements of the Codes. Some sites may choose to have more than one Management Representative to meet shift and operational requirements.
Step 4: Choose either ES 2.1 or F2SR Certification
Step 5: Conduct a Pre-Assessment (Optional)
- Either an SQF ES auditor or your ES Management Representative can identify the “gaps” between your ES program and the desired type of SQF ES certification.
Step 6: Choose a Certification Body and Schedule an Audit
- Select the proposal from the Certification Body that best suits your facility and its needs, then schedule an audit with this Certification Body.
Step 7: Certification Body Conducts Initial Certification Audit
- Initial Certification Audits consist of both a Document Review (Desk Audit) and a Facility Assessment (Facility Audit).